There was a twentieth century Canadian missionary to China named Jonathan Goforth. Aside from having the best last name a missionary could possibly have, he had seven rules for daily living that he followed to grow spiritually and be fruitful in the field:
1. Seek to give much. Expect nothing.
2. Put the very best construction on the actions of others.
3. Never let a day pass without at least a quarter of an hour spent in the study of the Bible.
4. Never omit daily morning and evening private devotion.
5. In all things seek to know God’s Will and when known obey at any cost.
6. Seek to cultivate a quiet prayerful spirit.
7. Seek each day to do or say something to further Christianity among the heathen.
None of these seems big on its own. But faithfully, prayerfully held to, they changed Jonathan Goforth and parts of northern China, Manchuria and northern Korea for the Lord.